Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Weird/horror tales by H.H.Ewers
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 1 April, 2018 02:24PM
Hi,

Does anybody know the complete list of horror/weird stories by Hans Heinz Ewers?

Re: Weird/horror tales by H.H.Ewers
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 1 April, 2018 04:00PM
Joe E. Bandel, who has been translating Ewers' work for the past several years for his own press in Lulu and deluxe editions for Sidereal Press in the UK probably knows better than anyone at this point: [bandelbooks.com]

Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 2 April, 2018 06:20AM
Thank you very much. I contacted mr. Bandel today and he immediately answered. :-) Though he did not answered my question about Ewers´ horror tales ... :-(

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2018 01:09PM
How does Guy Endore's 1929 translation of Alraune compare to Joe E. Bandel's translation?

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2018 11:08PM
Knygatin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does Guy Endore's 1929 translation of Alraune
> compare to Joe E. Bandel's translation?

No offense to Mr. Bandel -- after all, he replaced material which had been excised from the earlier translation -- but I find it to be, if you will, a bit too literal a translation; hence the language feels to me a little flat. Mind you, I've not read the entire thing, only fairly sizeable excerpts I've come across, so my statement may be based on inaccurate (incomplete) information... but, having read some of the things which Ewers himself translated into English, I find he had an innate poetic sensibility and a finely discriminating use of the subtleties of the language which I don't find in what I've read of Bandel's translation. Still, I applaud his work because it has made this work available once again after such a very long time, and to many the above (even if entirely accurate) may be a minor quibble.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2018 03:05AM
In general I think there is very little genuine poetry and quality art in society today. I could here go into political detail about how international (((capitalism))) have damaged our western culture, but I won't. I'll just take a more superficial approach and blame it on the Internet. People are more well-informed, and technical than ever, but have lost depth of thinking. We collect and pile information, but our minds have at the same time become shallow and scattered.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page